TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:56:11 +0100
Peter,
I've never seen any specific rules. There are so many kinds of LEDs, and
the power dissipation varies according to their use, like steady light
or working intermittently. Most LEDs on our products are not critical,
because of the low power dissipation, oftenly much less than 100 mW. And
LEDs are frequently mounted side by side in large arrays. Most PWBs have
mass enough to take care of that tiny power, and I have seen LED mounted
on flexes, which are not known for having good heat transportation. So,
we follow the mounting instruction that follows all LED data sheets. You
can find hundreds on the web. An exemption is certain high power IR LEDs
which need a coolant fin, but I assume you speak about the 'ordinary'
blinking ones that we see on all boards on this earth.

Ingemar Hernefjord
Ericsson Microwave Systems