TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Zilber Gil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Zilber Gil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:43:31 +0200
I didn't know that speaking in SI unit would cause so much troubles..:) Sorry, next time I will translate it to "US" language, well may be I will not it was pretty fun.....

In any case as Vladimir mention, the Intermetallic thickness depends on the metal, and also on the solder type (LF and SnPb) and the liquidus time.

You can look at the paper "Reflow Profiling: Time above Liquidus" at AIM site www.aimsolder.com as an example. There are many papers dealing with the Intermetallic layers created during the reflow many of them (actually most of them in these RoHS days) comparing it to LF soldering. As long as you are below 6 micron =6 micro Meter = 236.22 micro Inches you are, probably, in the safe side. After one reflow time you should see about 0.5-2 micron of intermetalic layers, and it will increase with each reflowing.

Regards,

Dr. Gil Zilber

Technologist, Elta system Ltd.

Tel. +972-8-8577240