TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:55:54 -0600
 You should search the archives of the LeadFree forum, for extensive
discussion on this.  OEM's are doing it both ways, just like component
manufacturers.  Some are changing internal part numbers, some are not.
Some are putting in temporary part numbers while stock is in transition.
I lost the battle for new Pn's, so the last is sort of our method.  If
we need both, we make a new PN, but most we are allowing to transition
without changing the number.  For some, we are making a Pb part number
to reserve some stock for one product, and allowing the original PN to
transition.  Then we don't need to change 100's of PartsLists and BOM's,
just the one or two that need careful handling.