TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ingemar Hernefjord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:12:46 +0100
I don't believe in  models for soldering..
I'm a gaggy old dog that like hands on. I use to start tempcycling
and life tests immediately. Such tests do not tell the whole truth
either, but safer than models. Models tend to indealize terms and
factors, but reality is more like a mustang. Hard to catch, hard to
tame. A collegue here has developed a model for BGA solder joints, pages
and pages with math, and he is very ambitious and loves what he is
doing. We implemented his huge
model for some boards, but the result of the simulations was so
diverging and indistinct that we couldn't figure out what could be
presented to our customer. I think the problem lies in the very invidual
characters of solder joints, like leaves on a birch..all are different
even if they look similar.
Inge