TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
David Greig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Greig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:39:15 -0000
Ceramic X5R or X7R or similar dielectrics.

Caveat - much lower esr than tant, so will affect circuit operation in applications such as linear voltage regulators or SMPS.
Should always be subject to a design revue. You don't need to derate voltage by the same degree (~2.5 for tants), but the higher
voltage ceramic parts will be thicker and mechanically more robust than lower voltage parts when pad geometry is optimised.

From circuit design perspective, the only advantage of tants over ceramics is when you need to pack 100's or 1000's of uF in a
small space. However high value tants are damn expensive.

Best Regards

David Greig
GigaDyne Ltd
Buchan House