TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
"Burtt, Nigel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Burtt, Nigel
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:11:15 -0000
We had a 4/5 zone oven and initial trials showed it did work, but we had

to spend more time profiling as process control was difficult when

dealing with different demanding PCBs. We went to a 7 zone oven which

fitted in the same footprint and process control was improved and

profiling easier to get right with just one or two trial runs per PCB

type.

If you decide you have to upgrade, what is your budget, what footprint

can you accommodate and what throughput do you need? The you can look at

extra features such as centre-board support, flux residue gas

separation, nitrogen inerting, active cooling etc etc

I found a useful excel tool on the ECD website which allows you to "fit"

oven capabilities to paste spec requirements and give you a measure of

goodness for possible combinations, which really helped in our decision

making process. You don't need an ECD mole (or KIC or Solderstar etc) to

use this, it's a standalone mathematical model

http://www.ecd.com/emfg/instruments/mole/profileplanner1.asp

Nigel Burtt

Production Engineering Manager

Dolby Labs - European HQ

Email: [log in to unmask]

Tel:     +44 (0)1793 842132 [direct line with voicemail]

Fax:    +44 (0)1793 842101

information intended for a specific individual and purpose.  If you are

not the intended recipient, delete this message.  If you are not the

intended recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any

action based on this message is strictly prohibited.