TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Zilber Gil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Zilber Gil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:06:45 +0200
Looks like a BGA IC issue. How does the pad on
Hi,

Looks like a BGA IC issue. How does the pad on the IC looks like? Could it be a black pad issue on the IC pads? Did the IC manufacturer change the Temp profile to fit the SAC alloy?

Good luck,

Gil Zilber

________________________________

מאת: TechNet בשם WTSJ-Willis Tam

נשלח: ו 11/11/2005 08:30

אל: [log in to unmask]

נושא: [TN] urgent issue BGA fall out

> Dear All,

> Recently, we found a very strange defect with the BGA IC.

> Here's our process flow:  SMT---> De-panel (by V-cut machine)--->

> Functional test--->final inspection

> We found around 10 pcs BGA falling out either at the process of de-panel or

> functional test, defect rate less than 0.1%. The defect only happened in 2

> days, It's very strange, all the solder balls adhere to PCB. there's no

> solder ball adhere to the BGA substrate.

> Investigations from our side:

> 1. We have been built the same product since April 2004. no issue before.

> 2. Since May 2005, the SMT process was converted to RoHS, BGA also has been

> changed to green type since then, monthly output around 200K.

> 3. The BGAs were 100% baked under 110 degreeC for 24 hrs before SMT.

> 4. We use Loctite LF318 solder paste for SMT, the time between 70 degreeC

> to peak 245 degreec is around 250 seconds.

> 5. The BGA only subjected to 1 time reflow (only 1 side with components)

> 6, We have reflow fixture to support the board during reflow. there's no

> warpage issue.

> 7, Use Vcut machine to separate the units from a 6 up-panel PCB, no extra

> stress to the board.

> 8. Use pogo pin to make connection for functional test fixture, no extra

> stress.

> Information of BGA.

> 1. It's a solder mask defined substrate. with ENIG surface finishes.

> 2. 0.8mm pitch, pad size 0.35mm.

> 3. IC supplier apply solder ball with flux only, without solder paste.

> Would anybody give me some advices, what shall be the most possible root

> cause? it's a BGA IC issue or a SMT process issue? How to improve?

> Thanks

> Willis Tam

This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.

 The information contained in this communication is proprietary to Israel Aircraft Industries Ltd.

and/or third parties, may contain confidential or privileged information, and is intended only for

the use of the intended addressee thereof. If you are not the intended addressee, please be aware

that any use, disclosure, distribution and/or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from

your computer. Thank you.

This message is processed by the PrivaWall Email Security Server.