TECHNET Archives

November 2005

From:
Kevin Glidden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2005 08:34:07 -0500
Wee,

1) I have never seen a press-fit connector on the flex itself, but I have
seen them used extensively on the rigid sections of a flex.  I don't believe
the flex section would ever be thick enough to retain a press-fit connector
and still be a flex.  The minimum thickness of the section is usually
dictated by the connector specification.

2) To my knowledge, the same rules apply to a rigid board as on the rigid
section of a flex.

3) I would always recommend a tool for installing press-fit connectors.  If
you can push them in by hand, I would be concerned that the holes were too
large and the reliability (retention & continuity) would be compromised.
You must support the bottom of the PCB on a flat, rigid surface.  If the
pins will protrude, or you have components on the opposite side, you will
need a fixture with clearances.  It is also possible to use a top & bottom
tool, less the support fixture on the bottom.  Design of the top tool must
account for the connector design, such as pins, etc.  Many major connector
manufacturers also offer customized tooling for their connectors.