LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Arnold Offner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:04:39 -0500
James has suggested a very pragmatic view,

And I would agree he is right, - now adding components in thiose assemblies
that are either leaded(Pb'ed), or un-leaded (non-Pb'ed) at the solder
contact would therefore be covered in the exemption too.

Kindest regards,
Arnold Offner
Phoenix Contact Inc. - USA
Industry Associations & Committees
Program Lead - RoHS & WEEE Directive
Box 4100
Harrisburg, PA 17111-0100
United States of America
Telephone:    USA - 717 - 948 3469
Cellphone:    USA - 717 - 215 0155
Facsimile:     USA - 717 - 948 3468
E-Mail: <[log in to unmask]>

|         |           "James, Chris"   |
|         |           Sent by: Leadfree|
|         |           >                |
|         |           11/11/2005 08:28 |
|         |           "(Leadfree       |
|         |           Electronics      |
|         |           Assembly Forum)";|
|         |           "James, Chris"   |
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: [LF] RoHS and use of lead in components                                                                  |

(c) in solde
Firstly note the exemption on leaded solder is for:

(c) in solders for network infrastructure equipment for switching,
signalling, transmission as well as network management for
telecommunication.

i.e. not for general telecom equipment which is covered by RoHS.

So moving on if you feel the exemption still applies..............

Strictly the exemption only covers the use of leaded solder, everything
else is supposed to be compliant.

However if the parts were compliant in all respects other than they had
leaded terminations which you were going to solder with leaded solder
anyway, then I can't see what the difference would be and probably hard
to tell.

If however the parts were non-compliant due to factors other than the
leaded terminations, then no they could not be used, unless of course
they are covered by another exemption.

That would be my pragmatic view of it............. let the debate begin

Regards,
Chris