LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2005 13:02:36 -0600
My initial question was whether we could switch to using Pb free wire
solder for hand-soldering operations on our production floor, even
though our production products are still using stuffed boards that were
populated with SnPb solder paste.
This would be for installing things like connectors, shields, or doing
rework, etc.   BGA's are never soldered by hand.

Then when the products start switching to Pb free, we don't have to
worry about controlling two types of solder on the production floor.  Pb
free product assemblers would just use the standard wire solder - Pb
free - already available to them.

Related question (probably already answered in the archives, but..).
Can Pb BGA's be soldered with Pb free solder paste?  I would think the
balls would fully collapse, since they melt at a lower temperature.