LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
Genny Gibbard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:21:03 -0600
We are trying valiantly to use up Pb inventory before we purge our
stores and declare ourselves RoHS'd.  In the meantime, we are trying not
to buy much, if any more Pb stock.
When it comes to BGA components, that means we may have some builds
where we have Pb passive components, but a Pb free solder process and Pb
free BGA.  (Relax, we are not claiming these boards will be RoHS...)

As far as practicality, I believe there should be no issue with how well
a Pb termination resistor actually solders with Pb free solder, but are
there any other issues, other than the obvious moisture sensitivity and
temperature handling ability of components in question?

Secondly, the question came up - could we switch to Pb free wire solder
over the whole company for all hand soldering applications?  Even on
products that might have been assembled with SnPb solder paste?
If we could do that, then there is no issue with making sure someone is
using the correct solder with the correct process, when we do mixed
production.  Pb products will have a small amount of Pb free soldering
done to them.  Pb free products don't need to worry about being
hand-soldered with SnPb by accident.  I'm told that our assemblers tend
to work with irons a little on the hot side anyway, so they may not even
notice much difference?

I had reservations but couldn't name them on the spot, and said, woahhh,
hold on.  Let me research that.  So, I'm starting with you guys.

Thanks in advance for your learned responses.

Genny Gibbard (mailto:[log in to unmask])
VCom Inc.
150 Cardinal Place
Saskatoon, SK   S7L 6H7
(306)955-7075 x.229