LEADFREE Archives

November 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"Morse, Carrie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:55:19 -0500
I will answer these questions for you based on what we are doing, but,
what you decide to do will depend on "who" your company is and how it
operates.

We (Cirtronics) are a small contract manufacturer of electronics
assemblies and box builds.
- We do not have a dedicated and titled RoHS Coordinator.  Rather, we
have a group made up of people that represent functions in our
organization including:  Sales/Marketing, Process Engineering, Quality,
Materials, Production, HR, and, the President.  The group is made up of
10 people but, changes/grows as our needs change.
- The group does not only focus on RoHS (although, we have had days were
it feels like it's all about RoHS!).  Each of us on the team has our
regular daily duties and interactions.  RoHS is a new aspect of our
business/industry and so we are trying to address it as such.
- Because RoHS is intertwined with what we do everyday, it is hard to
break apart what percentage we dedicate to RoHS.  And depending on what
part of the RoHS implementation phase you are at, you will spend
different amounts of time.  I will say we started addressing RoHS back
in 2002 at which point 2 people may have spent about 5% of their time
doing research and talking about it.  When we doing our DOE we had 2
people putting in about 60% of their time.  Now, our group meets every
2-3 weeks, addresses issues/topics, assigns tasks, and each person
probably spends about 5-20% of their time addressing RoHS related
issues.  Keep in mind, we are a Contract Manufacturer.   IF you are an
OEM, I would assume that would be much higher.
- Because we do not have a hierarchical structure here, we all report to
the President of our organization, who does support this endeavor (which
is helpful.)
- No additional dedicated/semi-dedicated resources, although, we
recently hired an additional quality engineer who may also take on some
of the Component engineering aspects.  We have a highly cross trained
staff as well as employee force which helps in times of special projects
(like RoHS).
- We will not have a dedicated doc control person assigned to RoHS.
Each of our doc control folks will be trained to handle and implement
RoHS documentation and changes.

This strategy appears to be working for our organization.  Each company
will need to do what works best for them.  I think, no matter how large
the organization, one person cannot handle this change by himself.  A
group or team with representatives from each functional area is needed.
EVERYONE will be affected.

Good luck.

-Carrie Morse
Process Engineer