DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

November 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:54:10 -0800
Steve,

A standard is in effect an 'agreed upon' language of communication or method
of doing things that when adopted reduces confusion and miscommunication and
simplifies methods used between the parties involved. It is a consensus of
the parties involved... A standard is never 'cutting edge'. It is just a
documented account of what has become common and accepted.

Using the standard provides the user with a collective set of rules and
methods that they can adopt to conform to the majority of users and save
time and money and effort in the process when doing business with them.

For our part we have adopted the use of the IPC specs in our footprint
models and reference them when specifying acceptance criteria for our boards
when they are manufactured and assembled. Designing to the IPC specs makes
our designs compatible with the equipment and tools the manufactures and
assemblers are likely to have. This helps us avoid manufacturing problems
and assembly issues when producing our products and provides us with a
standardized market from which we can get competitive bids on our jobs and
save money.

Are you currently using the IPC specs?

What other standards are you using in your Printed Circuit documentation
system?

Best regards,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.
San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://pcbwizards.com