TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:17:47 -0600
I should not have used the words I did in my first response, interchanging the words "melt" with "dissolve". This led to a lot of confusion. I apologize to those who were confused. Following is an explanation of what I was trying to say. I hope it is clearer.
First, soldering is the science of joining metals using a low-melting-point alloy (tin-lead solder is only one example) with a higher-melting-point base metal such as copper, gold, silver, or nickel. When soldering, heat is applied to the base metal to be soldered merely to heat it up, but not to melt it.  When you solder, the molten solder wets out over the base metal. If heated properly, a small amount of the base metal dissolves into the molten solder, much like honey dissolves when added to hot tea. It does not actually achieve a molten state like the solder does, but the small amount that dissolves provides a good bond between the base metal and the molten solder.
This area of dissolved metals is the intermetallic formation (IMF) between the metals. Some metals such as copper, gold, and silver dissolve quite rapidly into the IMF, others take a much longer time to dissolve. Each metal has a certain rate of dissolution. This rate of dissolution is determined by the applied temperature and time during which the solder is in contact with it to achieve a corresponding IMF. Nickel's rate of dissolution is approximately 8 times longer than that of copper, and 10 times longer than noble metals such as silver or gold. In other words, nickel dissolves much more slowly into the IMF than other metals, and as such takes a longer time and hotter temperature to form an IMF that can be reliably depended on.
My question below should have been: How does one achieve a good solder joint without the proper amount of dissolution?

Because of this, in the example below where an assumption is made that if the solder melted over the nickel and "wetted", that a good IMF is formed; this may or may not have happened. Just because wetting is achieved does not mean that an IMF was formed that will provide reliable solder joints. Solder wetting can be achieved with a wooden toothpick. It does not mean that there is a good mechanical bond between the solder and the wood underneath.