TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:42:56 -0800
Hi Dacia,

I had not seen the Hepco presentation before, but after viewing it, it looks quite feasible as long as the cost of the individual tools and the time to get them made are reasonable.

You did not specifically state that you are using standard solderball preforms (Winslow Automation or equivalent), so I have to wonder what process you are referring to as "stencil, paste, ball, bake".  I may be missing something but that would result in oversize solderballs.

A multi-array reflow pallet could be added to the Hepco equipment to optimize handling and productivity as compared to having to handle the flimsy metal card they have you use.

They even advertise being able to handle the .012" solderballs (0,5 mm pitch devices) which is quite a trick in itself using only tooling pins and the cavity tooling sheet to align the fluxing and placement.

In the past, I have used stencils, paste flux, and solderballs to do basically the same process minus the vacuum wand for pitches below 0,7 mm when we HAD to save the parts.

I always prefer prepackaged solderball arrays because they keep the balls from rolling off the pad when the flux melts, or getting blown off of a pad by the convection air currents, but they are not available for 0,5 mm pitch devices ......yet!

It will completely ruin your day if your part is "priceless" (for heat cycle limitations, or if it cannot be replaced) and this happens.

Solderball placement equipment is very expensive and I would think that even used, it would be cost prohibitive given that outsourcing reballing is already considered not cost effective.

Hope this helps....

Phil

Dacia Schoolfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
All -

I would like to ask for any input regarding BGA reballing techniques.

The organization for which I work is NOT interested in outsourcing the
reballing of our reworked BGA devices (read: not cost effective). And, to
that end, we are currently using a standard stencil, paste, ball, bake
method.

However, the question I pose is this: Does anyone have any experience with
techniques beyond the standard use of stencils, paste, balls, etc? For
example, I found a product offered by Hepco that offers a vacuum method, no
paste involved... looks kind of interesting. Has anyone tried this before?
Check out: http://www.hepcoblue.com/

Second question related to BGA rework. Does anyone know of a good used
equipment contact/website? We currently have one BGA rework machine and are
looking for at least one, potentially two more.

I look forward to everyone's input.

On a personal side note:
1.) Congratulations, Steve, on your award. I certainly have learned a lot
from Tech Net, and your efforts in particular have been instrumental in
coordinating the efforts between strangers in strange lands. We all owe you
a certain amount of "thanks."

2.) For those in California, please understand, before you read this, that I
bleed orange:
GO HORNS - #1 in the BCS!!!

Kind Regards,
Dacia Schoolfield