TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:24:59 -0500
I agree that there are a number of variables that enter into this test
methodology and that it is not a good tool for product qualification. As a
process control tool it works, provided you have correlated it back to some
other method like IC (Ion Chromatography) and can define what a value of say
5, actually means (clean or not clean). I personally have never been fond of
this test methodology due to its lack of repeatability;  but if I understand
Joe's question, he is wanting to know if the value defined in J-STD-001C can
be revised based on their piece of equipment.  Certainly, if heated cells
are figured into the mix, then I would expect to see increases in the
amounts of extractable ionics, as heat aids solubility.  But simply to make
a change to the defined value based on one premise (our piece of equipment
is an Omegameter, therefore can we change the value) is not what I would
consider a justification for changing that value.  Another point, for which
I may be incorrect (please correct me if I am wrong), but my cursory review
of  J-STD-001 Rev D states that IPC-TM-650, method 2.3.25 Rev C be used for
static (item 6) and dynamic (item 5) systems.  So a compensation is being
made for the different systems. Additionally, I have found nothing that
suggests the defined value is different for either system only by the type
of flux used.

Personally, I think Brian Ellis has hit the nail on the head and I agree
with his thoughts.

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
Process Analyst