TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:21:06 -0500
Hi Joe,

I have reviewed rev D of J-STD-001 (don't have Rev C), in section 8.3.6.3,
it says  "for assemblies soldered with ROL0 or ROL1 fluxes, the surface
contamination shall be less than 1.56 micrograms per square centimeter NaCl
(approximately 10 micrograms / sq. in) equivalent ionic or ionizable flux
residue". I do not see in the Rev D version ( I would assume it is similar
in the Rev C) where a particular piece of equipment is specified.  Thus, I
would conclude that adjustments to that value are not warranted, unless you
and your customer have agrred to a different value.  I will grant you that
not all pieces of equipment measure the same on all occassions ( too many
variables to discuss, perhaps another discussion), but the Omegameters I
have worked with have standardizing solutions that can be purcahsed.
Standardizing the machine before testing to make sure it is measuring
correctly is always a good practice, but changing the recommended value just
because you are using an Omegameter instead of an Ionograph, not enough
justification for me.  My 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
Process Analyst