TECHNET Archives

October 2005

Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 15:43:55 -0400
Hey Steve,

I know it's going to be tough abandoning the Dremel / Xacto methods
you've so nicely perfected, but alas ... time and technology move
onward!

A small vacuum chamber & pump are useful for getting the air out of
those sections that tend to trap air, like vias, connectors, under BGAs,
etc.  The long pot life of the epoxies gives enough time to pump down
those mounts.  We use a Struers Epovac chamber and a pump I just got for
a few hundred bucks out of the Grainger catalog. Most of our sections
are done in acrylic which is great for most purposes, but it sets up too
fast for evacuation.

Depending upon the epoxy you choose, a small oven to cure it over and
hour or two may be required.

Diamond wheels are very good for grinding sections with ceramics.  Shop
around for these as they can be v-e-r-y expensive.  Jeweler's supply
houses are a good source for them.

You'll want clips to hold sections in place in the cups.  I prefer the
plastic roll clips over the metal clips.  The less metal I have to grind
the better.  Sometimes the adhesive-backed cardboard bases are useful
too, but the adhesive residues can gum up things at the beginning, so I
pass the section over a toss-away paper disk first before doing any
grinding on a diamond disk.

A standard variable-X stereo inspection scope w/good lighting mounted on
a shelf right above the X/S equipment saves a lot of walking back and
forth to somewhere else to see how the section is going.

If you get this capital equipment P.O. through the bean counters I'd be
willing to bet heavily that we're all going to get lotsa' chances to
brush up on our cross-section analysis ... Good luck.!

Bruce Tostevin
Benchmark Electronics
Hudson, NH