TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Leo Higgins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:35:27 -0700
Substrate is simple double sided BT-glass substrate.  As I mentioned in my
first note, the delam had to occur prior to the underfill cure, but this
leaves a few different opportunities.  The initial assessment was that the
product failed during MSL testing, but the thinner underfill over the delam
showed this was not true.  So we too agree the delam was due to some gas
pressure in the filled via.  Perhaps the via fill absorbed water during the
processes to plate the Cu cap over the via.  Perhaps the via fill was not
fully cured.  Or, maybe the via fill was not compatible with the flip chip
assembly reflow process. If any of these possibilities are true, and if the
via is 'hermetically' sealed by via sidewall Cu and the Cu caps, a prolonged
bake at 125 or 150C would not be expected to be effective in preventing the
delam during subsequent higher temp excursions for flip chip solder reflow
or underfill cure.  Since a substrate bake before flip chip assembly, and
after FC assy but before underfill dispense, are standard processes, it is
possible that these 150C bakes caused the delam....

Best regards,
Leo

Director of Applications Engineering
ASAT, Inc.
3755 Capital of Texas Highway, Suite 100
Austin, Texas     78704

ph     512-383-4593
fx      512-383-1590
www.asat.com

The information contained in this electronic message is CUSTOMER/SUPPLIER
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the
distribution and copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the
sender by electronic mail. Thank you.