TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Lance Mayes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lance Mayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:53:45 -0600
Hi Joel,

We have a similar set of headers that are hand soldered.  If this is an on
going process you might have your machinist build a fixture to hold the
pins in place
and the operators could then place the pins in the fixture and then the
boards on the fixture to solder them.
That's what we did for our problem.  One question, are the operators
soldering from the primary side or the secondary? We solder from the
secondary and the leads are much easier to solder.

Hope it works out for you.

                        P.  Lance Mayes CIT
                        Mfg. Trainer

Joel Mearig <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/04/2005 09:58 AM
Please respond to
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>; Please respond to
Joel Mearig <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[TN] Hand Soldering Long Gold Pins

I have a number of assemblies that have long (0.5") connector pins that
must
be soldered in the board. The pins must remain gold so at the moment I am
trying to hand solder. This is a difficult process. The 0.100" spacing
makes
it difficult for my production personnel to solder without getting solder
on
the gold pins.

The connectors are double row and there are two beside one another
creating
a four pin bank of 0.100" spaced pins. Any thoughts on how I can improve
this process for the soldering personnel would be greatly appreciated.

Joel Mearig