TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Pete Lymn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:58:04 +0100
With quality SnPb Solder Leveling I would not expect the maximum thickness
of the solder at the crest to exceed 22 microns, with a mean of 14 microns.
So unless your apertures are significantly smaller than the pad I don't see
how the stencil would contact the solder. But I take you point with small
isolated features without a corresponding aperture and thin masks; not least
because small features can electroplate thicker. We have measured fidutial
thicknesses BEFORE leveling 20 Microns thicker than the earth plain areas;
so presumably you can have gasketing problems with non fused coating and
thin masks too?  Is it practical to etch apertures part way into the stencil
to provide clearance around fidutials and like features?
  But it's a different story with LEAD FREE Solder Leveling where minimum
deposits are typically double that of SnPb and the solder crest is
significantly lower.  We are routinely measuring 0.010 X 0.060ins. QFP foot
prints with a maximum crest height of 10-11Microns with a mean of 5-6.
Interestingly BGA pad's come out thicker than you would expect; 0.18ins Dia.
typically measuring 16-17Microns at the crest with a mean of 9-10.