TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
Gerard O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Gerard O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:00:40 -0400
Richard - great come back - perhaps you have missed all the champagne
voiding issues with silver! Ask Cisco, et al, the great proponents of Ag
what their finish de jour is - it is no longer Ag. All surface finishes come
with a price if not applied correctly. You correctly pointed out that the
formation of NiSn IMCs requires more time and temperature - something that
is taught in soldering 101 but something that the industry has seemed to
ignore and in some cases continues to ignore. It is clearly stated in 4552!
I am not naive enough to think there is no problems with ENIG, you pays your
money and you get what you pay for. We have run ENIG here for 8 years with
no black pad related issues, sure some mis calls due to mask on pad. It is
amazing that there are so many experts on black pad but yet the extensive
work by the IPC could not produce ONE single incidence of black pad, perhaps
all these new experts would like to revisit the subject.
 While you bring up all these labs working on these defects - when will the
industry realize  that EDX is NOT the tool for surface analysis and that the
scans produced confuses the situation even more. Correct analysis by XPS
will produce at the fractured interface data to show if any IMC was ever
formed - back to your point of correct temperature and time necessary for
correct IMC formation - without this the solder joint has the reliability of
snot.

Has anyone shared with purchasing the cost of all these
returns/failures/liabilities and compared to the "massive savings" they have
achieved by outsourcing?

Regards

Gerard O'Brien
Also co-chairman of 4553 and a supplier of all surface finishes.