TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:34:52 -0500
Darrel, and all,
You are absolutely right in your answer here; it depends. I tend to
forget that not every business is the same as the one I am currently
working at. This issue is not a single issue, by any means. Whatever
system is used has very far-reaching implications for not only the OEM,
but also for their customers.
I probably jumped because of the fact that I know many of the
simplifications of a rollup can also create a full time job for somebody
who needs to determine backwards compatability, for example. "Can this
assembly xxxxxx-01 be put into final device xxx-03?" or "We have a
number of subassemblies 1234567-890 that were reworked into a new part
2345678-901, will we be able to use them on devices 98765432-10?" And so
on and so forth. Keeping this info on the BOM as alternates helps.
And again, your statements about the MRP system's ability to control all
of the various aspects of a single part number can make it a formidable
task to configure for one system, but much easier for the other.
So, I need to qualify what I said before. What works for one company may
not work at all for another. But generally speaking, having to bump the
revision on everything above the level actually being changed does
create a lot of extra work.