TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:19:44 -0500
I disagree.
Most places I have worked have separate BOM and assembly drawing
revisions. The documents are independent of each other.
The reason for this is because the BOM is seldom a static document. It
undergoes changes on a regular basis.
Every Engineering Change Notice/Order has a significant cost. For every
ECN someone needs to update the BOM, update the configuration list,
update the schematic drawing, etc. etc.
Demanding that the assembly drawing maintain the same revision as the
BOM means that you have just doubled the price of every ECN.
Unfortunatly the schematic must be updated every time the BOM changes,
as the component values must be updated on the schematic. Adding the AD
to the list just adds cost. Look at it this way; there is a circuit that
is attached to the assembly. Changing something on the circuit does not
change the assembly. If changing something on the circuit demands a
change to the assembly, then the assembly revision should be updated as
well. But if changing something in the circuit does not change the
assembly configuration, then no change need be made to the assembly
drawing, thus no change to the revision.

I....must learn...to
accept....change....because...nothing.....ever....remains...the...same.
Must....learn..to manage...methods...that...make sense....economically.