TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:48:05 -0700
I guess that if you want to learn and at the same time pass on experience,
you need a forum where you are able to learn from your peer group and also
to teach in the same forum where you may have extensive experience on a
particular issue.

That is the point of a forum like Technet - I started the UK based trade
association the SMART (Surface Mounted And Related Technologies) Group in
1984 on just that principal, a forum where data could be shared and peoples'
learning curve reduced significantly.

So I do not find it surprising that the level of data sharing is high, I was
not surprised for instance at the 6 mil drilled hole comments - if you have
ever tried it you will know that the major issues are getting a good drill
source, beyond that you need to turbo charge your drilling machine to 180K
RPM and beyond and then there is positioning accuracy and debris
removal....8-).......use a laser.......

These points and others like them are well known if you take the time to fly
around the world and visit various companies, but all it will give you is a
starting point. The real key to using information is to have the engineering
vision and expertise to apply it and be able to produce the result cost
effectiveley and repeatably in a commercial environment, otherwise the data
is only that - data.

If you really want to keep things to yourself, patent it..........the world
will be aware of it, will either infringe it pay royalties on it, or
challenge it, but at least you can hang the certificates on the
wall.............8-)

I believe that the technet is a very useful forum. I can however see the
need for an alternate forum for high technology PCB's since I have managed
to fall off the edge of technology twice in the last couple of years with
high later count boards using 10 mil drilled vias in thich boards, we
actually reached the limits of the laws of fluid dynamics for the in hole
solution changeover which we proved by designing a test coupon to show
definitively where the process capability ended. For these issues, Technet
may not be the right forum, since when I explain what I do with high tech
circuit boards to most people on the manufacturing side (and I am one) a
glazed look comes into their eyes.

For the record, if anyone wants to know how to connect 40 micron pitch flip
chip on flex, control an anisotropic bonding machine in real time using real
time bond line resistance measurements, or how to get absolute Z axis depth
accuracy on back drilled backplanes, I would be happy to send them copies of
my patents..............

I believe information sharing is a good thing, if it really is worth
protecting - do it through the patent office.

In the meantime Technetters, keep up the good work, and have a great weekend
wherever in the owrld you are.

John Burke
Santa Clara California

------------------------------------