TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Valerie St.Cyr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:56:51 -0400
Steve,

This was a courageous reply. I know you took some heat and some scolding
for your opinion. Myself, I have had a mixed response to this and the
other forums. I too have felt like I was talking into a black hole - and
there wasn't even an echo to leave any indication that I had tried to
communicate. But then I have also had a few people write back to me
directly, off line, and thank me for trying to help or giving them a lead
on where to go for information. I also have felt rebuffed when someone
with more "authority" speaks and takes a contrary position. For all the
"good old boys" listening in: you mean well, to be sure, but I doubt you
understand how easy it is for you to "crush" someone; a big part of the
problem is the medium: we know that with email you can't see the body
language, you don't make eye contact, it tends to always sound stiffer or
more blunt than the speaker intended ...

Anyway, it is hard being a newbie. And like all "community" efforts, it's
a mixed bag of folks out there. I try to stick to what I know I know and
stay away from some of the threads that are all speculation.

I hope you continue to try (there are a LOT of people lurking who don't
try to give something; I guess that's OK; but not to the extent that  they
abandon the forum to the same 12 people who make comments all the time -
that is what scares people away. It starts to seem like a club and not a
professional self-and joint education effort).

Anyway, got to get back to the work of today.

Regards,

Valerie

Steve Hodge <[log in to unmask]>
10/06/2005 05:08 PM