TECHNET Archives

October 2005

From:
"Valerie St.Cyr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:53:58 -0400
Franklin,

My experience is that a 0.006" drill is way past most shop's experience
unless they specialize in packaging substrates. Think of how thin the
shank is when you cut back the cutting surfaces! Very very fragile drill.
Very very difficult to remove much material out the flutes while drilling.
And then, very very difficult to plate that hole. I don't know how you
find yourself needing a 0.006" through hole; when we need a 0.006" hole we
design it as a blind via. It would normally be a laser formed blind if the
target depth isn't too deep; if it needs to go fairly deep into the board,
then we design that section as a sublamination. It costs to do it that way
- but it works and that way the holes get plated reliably. The other
benefit of making the section as a sublam is that you can fill the blind
holes with resin then cap and plate them - making for a very accommodating
via-in-pad design.

Valerie

Franklin D Asbell <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
10/05/2005 03:03 PM
Please respond to TechNet E-Mail Forum; Please respond to Franklin D
Asbell