TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:26:52 -0400
http://www.sandia.gov/media/rhp.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: TechNet [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Stadem, Richard
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 12:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [TN] X-ray inspection, can it damage devices?

I have had to address the same concerns for Aerospace programs.
I have not been able to find any formal standards for radiation exposure
limits. All I found was a good paper on the subject from Tom Clifford at
Lockheed Martin ("X-Ray Inspection, Easy Does It" in EP+P magazine)
I also talked to two X-ray vendors and they tell me that even if the
typical X-rays were cranked up to 120kv or about 3-5 watts, a component
would have to be exposed for a full day or longer to accumulate enough
total Rems such that it could hurt the component, and that the only
types of components that could be possibly damaged would be CMOS memory.
I have found some information on protecting components in space systems
from natural X-rays, but nothing on process-generated X-rays. Everybody
tells me it is not a problem. This is not enough for me, so I asked the
folks at IPC but have not heard a response as yet.
Anyone else know of any standards for limitations of X-ray emissions on
electronic components?