TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 16:12:25 -0500
Hi Bob,

If you are implying that the alternative is taking a ride on the ole Stigeon
Ferry, then I would say that aging is the boarding pass for most people.

How'd we get on this subject from gloves anyway, Doug?

Well since I'm already commenting, I guess I will give my two cents on the
glove question.  From a cleanliness standpoint and based on our own in-house
testing, powder-free vinyl gloves are the best. Followed by the blue nitrile
gloves. However, as Graham pointed out, they aren't very good for handling
hot assemblies coming off of the line.  Leather gloves are probably okay for
taking the boards from the line.  I'm not sure of how much ionics come from
leather gloves as we have never actually tested any.  I may just do an
in-house experiment and see what I can determine.  I will post what I find.
I may be eating crow on the whole leather glove thing. Cotton gloves as Doug
points out, are bleached (chlorine). Also, if one is not careful, cotton
gloves can leave behind conductive fibers.  I know this from past experience
with one particular  SIR test.  We had a client that had a few lower than
passing readings show up on some test boards.  Post SIR visuals showed white
fibers in the areas of the low readings, no dendrites or water spots were
noted in those areas. When we talked with the client, they admitted that
they had handled the boards with white cotton gloves. So if you're using
them, be careful.

I guess the best glove, will Depend, on where in the process you are
handling the boards.   I think Doug's comment of handling the boards by the
edges where possible is a good one.  How do ya like that Doug? Validated
twice in the same day.

I really enjoy Fridays on Technet!  Here's wishing all of you a safe and
relaxing weekend!

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau
Process Analyst