TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 13:52:53 -0500
I happen to think that the blue nitrile gloves are best for handling
pwb's and components.
I do not know if they present any outgassing or chlorinating issues.
I do know they will not snag on lead protrusions and other hardware,
inadvertently causing dropped assemblies. White cotton gloves snag like
crazy.
However, the blue nitrile gloves cannot be used on boards that are hot.
They have no insulative properties.
They tend to not absorb fluxes and chemicals, but they do get dirty and
need to be thrown and replaced periodically.
The blue nitrile gloves protect the operator's hands from chemical
exposure. White cotton gloves retain chemicals and prevent evaporation
from the operator's skin.
The blue nitrile gloves are available in ESD-safe type. I don't think
the white gloves are.
For these reasons I prefer the blue nitrile gloves. But the operators
prefer the white cotton gloves, as they are more comfortable than the
blue nitrile, especially if you have hairy hands like mine. Too bad more
of it does not grow on the top of my head.
But then maybe thats why I don't come up with all of those hair-brained
ideas like others I work with!