TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:32:25 -0700
Juan,

Connector contamination is one of the most common complaints about flux and the cleaning process.

Distribution and specific location of the residue is very important and I did not see it disclosed so far.

In other words, did you determine definitely that the residue was coming from flux migration into the connectors as part of the soldering operation or are the residues only present after the cleaning process was performed?

There is also another hidden source of the residues in my experience, and that is the rework operation using liquid flux to reworking another component in the same area.  I have seen flux residues get into hard to believe locations on connectors and determined this was the only way possible for it to have happened.

Lastly, don't forget about mating test connectors for possible contamination sources.

Hope this helps...

Phil

"Juan T. Marugán" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thank you all for your suggestions,

Brian, the flux we are using is Alphametals 615-15 (ROL1) and I agree with
you that the best action will be prevention. But now, to change all the
connectors is not possible. So, we need to clean…

We have tried to carry out the method proposed by George and although it
works, we would like not add more rosin flux (the assembly is very complex)

We know that IPA is not the best solution but it is a standard product.
141-b can damage other parts of the unit (by the way, I suppose that our
company doesn’t purchase it in the black market) The new products
suggested by Brian should be qualified before use in the process, and
the “time flies”…

Brian, can you recommend us other solution (easy to purchase, not toxic
enough…)? I’m probably asking for a miracle.

Thank you again

Juan