TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:05:31 -0400
Juan,

Brian's recommendation about solvents are good and should work much better than IPA when you use them to clean your assemblies immediately after soldering.  However, our experience suggests that once you "decharacterize" (i.e., change the characteristic of the residue by making it insoluble) and try cleaning it with IPA it sticks to a surface and can't be dissolved off the surface with any useful solvent.  It needs to be "wash" away by mechanical action (i.e., float it off the surface and then rinse it away with flowing solvent).

Here's what I do:
1.  If I already have "White Residue"  I'd use the removal process I described.
2.  I'd put some effort into trying to prevent flux from getting into the connectors so I wouldn't have to clean them.
3.  If I couldn't prevent flux from getting into the connectors I would use the solvents Brian recommended with as much mechanical washing action as possible and I would not clean using IPA

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger
Reliability / FMA Engineer
Base Station and Subsystems Group
Andrew Corporation, 40 Technology Drive, Warren, NJ 07059 (908) 546-4531 [log in to unmask]