TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Jason Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jason Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:51:40 -0500
RE: [TN] Okay, all you real smart guys.........John,

With this assembly, I don't have a "profile", fully loaded, PCB to play
with. My thought is this (theory only): Let's say I have a board that has
only 20 BGAs, nothing else on it, and they are all the same size, package,
etc. If I run a bare board and get a peak temp of 240 and time over liquidus
of 45 sec. then I run a board with half of the BGAs, 10 of them, and I get a
peak temp of 230 and a time over of 40 sec., I could then surmise that with
a totally populated board, all 20 BGAs on it, would yield a peak temp of 220
with a time over of 35 sec. This wouldn't be totally accurate...there are
other factors, but I would get in the ballpark (since baseball crept in
this). If I lost 10 degrees peak and 5 sec. over liquidus per 10 components,
I could follow this theory to determine the results with all 20 components.
(?)

Jason Gregory
Manufacturing Engineer
Innova Electronics