TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:06:01 -0500
I recommend that you check out the AirVac DRS24 or DRS26. These are
excellent rework machines for the general range of 10 mm sqare to about
50 mm square package sizes on pwbs that are up to .125" thick on boards
up to about 14" x 14" or so. They provide the best process control on
the market.
Anything larger or more demanding you will probably need a Summit (also
an excellent machine), or a larger AirVac.
For smaller flip-chip and up to a medium BGA size and medium board size,
Metcal/Ok Ind. machines are very good. They have precise airflow
control, which is needed for very small, low mass flip chips or small
CSPs. They also have excellent vision alignment systems.
Stay far away from infrared systems. They do not heat the assembly
and/or the board evenly in the surrounding area, and the ability to soak
the entire assembly is non-existent. Get a machine with a large
bottomside preheat capacity, 1000 watts or better. It is critical to
pre-heat the entire assembly evenly to prevent damage to the pwb during
the rework cycle.
Infrared is useless when working with silicon flipchips or CSPs. They
are essentially glass mirrors and the infrared machines work poorly or
not at all with them.