TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wenger, George M.
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:45:16 -0400
Juan,

My guess is that the white stuff inside the contacts is what is typically referred to as "White Residue".  The best way I know to describe "White Residue" is that it is "decharacterized rosin".  During the soldering process the flux is heated to an elevated temperature and the outside surface or film of the flux residue that is exposed to the environment polymerizes or changes its physical properties and becomes "solvent insoluble".  When you try to clean white residue with a solvent like IPA that isn't very aggressive the rosin flux beneath the polymerized rosin dissolves and allows the "decharacterized" rosin to float downward and once it touches the surface of the contacts it sticks there and can't dissolved away.  You can try more aggressive solvents but they won't work very well.  The best way we've found to remove "White Residue" is to apply, by spraying or brushing, rosin flux to the "White Residue".  Yes, you did hear me correctly; put more flux on the contacts.  The trick is that the "decharacterized" rosin residue doesn't dissolve in the flux but it will float on the rosin.  Do not reheat the flux because you'll only form more white residue.  Wait several minutes to give the decharacterized residue to float on the rosin and then wash off the flux that has the white residue floating on it by aggressively spraying with a solvent. Chlorinated solvents work best because they aggressively remove the flux but IPA also works.

Regards,
George
George M. Wenger, Andrew Corporation
Reliability / FMA Engineer