TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:58:45 -0700
Ioan,

I agree we need more info to help direct you further such as specifics about the BGA and the board structure beneath it.   Werner is right also about pressing down on the part to see it that makes it connect as well.

How long is the component held above 208 would my first question?

Also, you did not say if your reflow at 220 C was measured in the BGA solder connection or elsewhere on the board.  Make sure that you don't have a thermal design issue in the board that is keeping the BGA from coming all the way up to temp

I have had similar problems with BGAs at .5 mm pitch which contained Lead Free solderballs without our knowledge.  We had to start reflowing them at 230 in order to get them all to connect.   Make sure you have Sn63Pb37 solderballs

Xray is the best means of determining the ball to pad soldered connection but you have to have a good eye to see it.  It helps if the designers can tell you what ball is open.

The reason why the part works if replaced is that the replacement cycle is typically hotter than the reflow cycle and the pads have been nicely tinned and conditions are ideal for making the solder connection.

I would watch your part very carefully during the rework heating cycle to see if it drops (ball collapse) at all when copious amounts of flux and adequate reflow heat is applied.  Xray the BGA before and after the rework heat application.  You will see a marked difference if the part is dropping a lot.

Warpage of the pwb could also be interacting with the open connection so watch the entire assembly when it is heated and cooled.

I have to admit I miss the challenge (or headache) of solving problems such as this one on a daily basis.

I had one component that I never did resolve as to why it's solderballs would not collapse properly every time.   It only had 4, 6, or 12 solderballs attached directly to a piece of ceramic.   The solderballs were Sn63Pb37 but usually one out three components would not drop equally all the way around and were constantly being rejected by Quality.  We were able to get them to drop if we applied extra liquid flux to them prior to reflow, but we should not have had to do this in the first place.  I wanted to change the pad size but never got to finish the project.  It was a .5 mm pitch part as well and the paste print sometimes was a little starved on some of the pads.

Hope this helps...

Phil

"Wenger, George M." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Ioan,

There isn't enough information to know what the root cause is. If replacing the PBGA makes a board work only 90% of the time do you then start blaming the PBGA's. What if the intermittent isn't a solder joint or a bad PBGA? What if it is a bad PBGA?

What is the surface finish on the board?
How thick is the board and how many layers?
Does the board have blind vias?