TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:16:46 -0700
Hi Scott,

I have used a few different selective solder systems over the years for hi mix low volume production.  Going with selective solder instead of a large tank wavesolder system was my preference as well for lead free.   My goal has always been to eliminate wavesoldering entirely but it only takes one thru hole lead to spoil an SMT-only manufacturing plan.

I bought a new system specifically for no lead and the solder bath was changed to be compatible with the new alloy.

You would have to detail the specifics of your applications in order to for anyone to give you a recommendation as to which system to go with, but here are some key factors to consider.

Speed:  Production tack time might be your most important factor, because the rate is dependent upon how many sites are selected for soldering.

Factory floor layout:   I have seen selective solder systems that rival conventional wavesolder machines for factory floor layout purposes so that might be another critical factor.

Cost:  Cost is always a consideration but there is still quite a spread there as well.

Soldering Method:  Multiple nozzle soldering simultaneously versus a single nozzle may be another key factor that is dependent upon your design as tooling changes could play a big factor.

Fluxing Method:   Similar considerations as soldering method.

Programming:  I prefer not having to program the x-y carrier movement when using the single nozzle system (adds too many chances for variation in the basic soldering recipe).

Nozzle Flow Stability:  Make sure you understand what you are getting and how much it will fluctuate when it is running your type of assembly.  There can be a large variation depending upon the pumping method used.

Tooling Clearances:  Consider the nozzle clearances if you have other components right next to the selective solder connections.  Tall SMT components on the bottom side, test points, etc.

There are other factors but this should get you started off in the right direction.

Phil

Scott Lefebvre <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We are moving forward toward migrating to a lead free process. We produce hi mix low volume products with limited through-hole components. We have only two assemblies that are power supplies that are through-hole intensive.

My question is this. I am looking at replacing our old wave solder machine with a selective solder unit. We have considered two of the largest manufacturers of selective solder units that utilize a very large platform. I'm not sure if I can list their name so I'll leave it at that. If anyone has experience using this type of equipment and can provide some insight on how and why they made their selection I would appreciate it. If you could provide specific details on the manufacturer that was used, I can take it off line if it is prohibited on this forum.

Scott.