TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Phillip Bavaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:29:34 -0700
Hi Mumtaz,

I would have to agree that these should not be accepted for production lots,.....

BUT I know in the past,  we have had to accept the product and vacuum bake bare PWBs as if for moisture content in order to support the accelerated schedule that design was under.

The product was not deliverable to customers other than internal engineering which contained the risk.   The root cause was exceeding the maximum drilled holes per inch ratio in at least one of those situations.

Also, you did not mention what the yield has been with baked boards.....did it eliminate the delam entirely?  We were not typically able to eliminate it (some still fell out as a result of reflow even after baking.)

Good luck,

Phil

"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Mumtaz,
I agree completely with Kathy.
I would not accept them either. Why would you? The only thing to gain
would be to prevent slippage of a scheduled build, but the risks of
losing more of your component supply and having to re-order parts and
put the program farther behind is far worse. I would expect the fab
house to replace the defective pwbs (immediately), and provide something
to make up for your losses in future p.o.'s. And I would run a few
samples of the replacement bare pwbs through the reflow process ahead of
time to ensure you do not see the same problem. They can still be used
as good hardware.