TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
"Roach, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Roach, David
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:58:29 -0500
I would recommend a stereo zoom microscope on a boom stand.  You can get a
nice new one, name brand, for about $2500.  You can get new no-name ones for
under $1000.  You can often find used ones, name brand, at local used
equipment dealers or on eBay for well under $1000.  There are various good
name brand stereo zoom microscopes - American Optical, Bosch & Lomb, Nikon
(usually more expensive), Meiji, Olympus, Leica, etc.  Remember that the
total magnification is the magnication of the eyepiece times the
magnification of the lens.  A typical zoom lens is 0.7x to 3.0x.  With 10X
eyepieces, this would give you a range of 7x to 30x total magnification.  If
you need more magnification, some to to 4.0X, and 20X eyepieces are
available, but less common than 10X.  I recommend a boom stand so you don't
have the base of the microscope getting in the way of the board you are
inspecting.

You will need a good light source.  An incandescent light works okay, such
as a "bullet" style light that mounts on the microscope bracket.  These
often have a remote base with a power supply that typically has 3 brightness
levels or an adjustable brightness dial.  There are also fluorescent ring
lights that mount around the microscope lens.  These are usually only a
single brightness, but work quite well for most applications.  The most
expensive lights are the fiber optic ring lights.  These have a remote base
with variable intensity light source, a ring that mounts on the microscope
lens, and a flexible fiber optic bundle that connects this to the light
source.  The prices mentioned above usually include a light source.

If you can't find a local dealer and don't care to buy on eBay, send me an
email and I can give you names of a few dealers in the Minneapolis area.  I
have no connections with these, other than buying some equipment from them
in a past life.

Dave Roach