TECHNET Archives

September 2005

From:
Reuven ROKAH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:13:53 +0300
According the homogeneous concept, the auditor has the right to take a
sample of one solder ball or only the plating of one of the component's
lead on the assembly and send it to analysis check.
 The auditor is not calculating the average concentration on the assembly
of Lead.

Best  Regards

Reuven  ROKAH

e mail: [log in to unmask]

                      Brian Ellis <bne
                      @BNELLIS.COM>            To:      [log in to unmask]
                      Sent by: TechNet         cc:
                      <TechNet@                Subject: Re: [TN] washing of misprints and stencils with leaded and lead-free
                      ipc.org>

                      15/09/2005 10:20
                      Please respond
                      to TechNet
                      E-Mail Forum;
                      Please respond
                      to Brian Ellis

That is a ridiculous statement. RoHS permits a tolerance of 0.1% lead.
So, if you had one ball containing 37% lead and about 400 balls
containing no lead, you would be at the limit, remembering the
difference in SG. I've never counted how many balls there are in solder
joints of different components, but I'd guess there would be more than
400 in the attachment of an average IC (a lot more if it were a
microprocessor or other high I/O device). So one ball (or even several
balls) of leaded lost in a myriad balls of LF will make no difference in
RoHS compliance with an average assembly.

Brian

http://listserv.ipc.org/archives