TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
Jana Carraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:02:07 -0700
Now this is a blast from the past topic!  I worked for Dynachem when we
brought out equipment and photoresist for applying dry film photoresist with
a small bead of water to solubilize the resist and flow into the surface
features of the copper foil.  This was back in the early 90s and at that
time, it was not a new idea.  I do not know if any equipment manufacturers
still make the systems or if any of the old systems are still available.  I
do have a copy of the manual we put together at the time!  That was with Dr.
Leo Roos, Elmer Hayes, and the equipment group at Dynachem.

The problems experienced were: not all photoresists were compatible with wet
lamination - some resists tended to "lock into" the copper and were
difficult to develop and strip after wet lamination, controlling the amount
of water at the interface of the resist and panel was critical for process
consistency, water quality was a factor, and how the water was applied and
where it ended up, ie, on top of the mylar, affected subsequent processing.
We found at the time, that using wet lamination was most beneficial in large
inner layer operations where the process ran continuously and reached a sort
of equilibrium.  And obviously, the technique is greatly applicable to inner
layers and not so applicable to outer layers with drilled holes.  Although,
I wonder how it would work with some of today's buried via layers?

That was all back in the good old days.  I do not know if equipment is still
available or photoresists formulated for compatibility with wet lamination.
Good luck in your search.

Jana Carraway

Jana Carraway
MSEI - Advanced Technology Group