TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
"Douglas O. Pauls" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:23:45 -0500
Good morning Werner,
Brian's experiences always make for interesting reading.

Maybe it is just from getting up way too early to take my daughter to
volleyball practice, but your comment rubs me the wrong way this morning.
I know that most IPC chairmen would love to increase participation from all
levels of companies and are looking for ways to do so.  The IPC staff
diligently explores alternatives to costly travel to meetings so that more
can participate.  There have been increases in teleconferenes, netmeetings,
videoconferences.  More review is done by e-mail.  As a member from a large
company, we "dominate" because it is often we may have more resources, we
may have made a better case for participation, or because or management
sees the value in participation.

In my view, participation is more limited by the fact that we are all 125%
tasked (on a light day).  Is there anyone out there that has free time to
devote anymore?

People can be very active participants in any IPC activity, regardless of
company size or travel budget.  In fact, all you in Technet land have
participated in my committees when I ask survey questions.  I am the vice
chair on the solder mask committee and the committee working on a solder
mask handbook.  The Technet archives have been data mined (it is SO nice to
have intelligent co-ops students) for experiences on solder mask.
Questions that get asked are topics that need to be covered.  All of the
committee activities have home pages on the IPC web site.  Minutes from
meetings, including suggestions from my favorite Canadian about hitting
Hillman with a frozen beaver, drafts of documents, some of which contain
Sven and Ole jokes, etc, are all there.

ALL it takes, all it takes, to participate in an IPC committee (with a few
exceptions) is a phone call or an e-mail to one of the committee chairs or
to the IPC staff saying "I would like to be part of this work", and you can
do so.  You can review drafts, participate in research, etc, without ever
once travel to a meeting.  You want to particpate, by God we will find a
way to work you in.  Let me give you an example.  A young lady who was once
one of my co-op students, works for an EMS provider where travel funds are
a little scarce at times.  She may not be able to attend the meetings, but
she is willing to review drafts, participate in IC round robins, etc.  She
recognizes the educational value in participating and how it will make her
a more valuable resource to her company.  Although, it could be just my
sauve and debonair charm as a chairman (not a word, Whittaker).  Nah.

I cannot begin to list how IPC involvement has made me valuable to my
employers over the years.  It is an education in itself, and in todays
world of electronic communication, the only real barriers to participation
are time to devote and individual initiative.

You know, I will look over this response in about an hour or so, after a
Diet Dew or two and wonder what the hell got me so riled up this
morning......

Doug Pauls

             Werner Engelmaier
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/25/2005 06:30          Re: [TN] IEC Specifications
             AM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond

Hi Brian,
You are so right.
It needs to be added, that participation is also very costly with meetings
taking place all over the globe. This excludes small commpanies and
consultants
reinforcing what you said about domination by large companies.

Werner