TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:34:30 +0300
I'll add another weakness of the ISO/IEC system. Members of a
committee/WG must be nominated by the standardisation authority of the
country of residence. If the said authority does not approve of a
candidate, no matter how well qualified he may be, he is excluded. As a
general rule, most countries will nominate only one member to a
committee. That means that frequently, the person nominated will be the
employee of a large company that pays the most money towards the running
of the national standardisation authority, mostly in the private sector,
rather than the guy who has the best technical knowledge from a smaller
company. I could cite chapter and verse on this problem concerning
several subjects: it is not merely theoretical. I have even seen one
case of a nominee being rejected because of pressure applied by a large
multinational which had opposing commercial interests (as it happened,
the TC folded up at the three-month rule stage, because said
multinational intransigently refused point-blank to accept the draft).
No names, no pack drill.

The point is that ISO/IEC do not necessarily have the most suitably
qualified persons on their committees. This is in opposition to the IPC
system, where individuals can join committees informally. This may mean
some dead wood, but the important points are that the right guys are
there and the dead wood becomes very live, after a short time, from
listening to them.

Brian