TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
"David D. Hillman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:36:07 -0500
Hi Richard! The gold acts as an "environmental barrier" to the prevent the
Pd from collecting things from the use environment. Pd is a real cool
element - it has properties which allow some pretty nice physics (Pd is
used to seed plated thru holes for plating). A thin flash of gold over the
Pd dramatically increases long term solderability and wettability. Texas
Instruments has been putting a flash of gold on their classic Pd/Ni
component finish for several years now as a surface finish improvement.
Rockwell Collins did some testing of Au/Pd/Ni and Au/Pd/Cu pwb finishes in
the late 90's - we had great success in the testing portion of the program
but the expense/availability of the finish are big disadvantages. Au/Pd/Ni
has been called the "universal" finish as it can be both a wirebondable and
solderable surface finish. You can also get Pd embrittlement of solder
joints in a similar fashion to Au embrittlement - the embrittlement is
another issue that some folks don't want to deal with so the finish is
avoided. Good control of the Pd thickness and your soldering process can
result in avoidance of Pd embrittlement issues.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins

             "Stadem, Richard"
             <Richard.Stadem@G
             D-AIS.COM>                                                 To
             Sent by: TechNet          [log in to unmask]
             <[log in to unmask]>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             08/22/2005 03:18          Re: [TN] Black pad
             PM

             Please respond to
              TechNet E-Mail
                   Forum
             ; Please respond
             "Stadem, Richard"
             <Richard.Stadem@G
                D-AIS.COM>

If Pd is used over the nickel, then why does one need the gold? The gold
is put on to preserve the solderability of the nickel. Does not the
palladium do the same thing? I know we would not solder to the
palladium.
From my bad experiences in the past with palladium applied as a final
termination finish to leaded SMT components, I would not want to solder
with palladium in the mix if I can help it.