TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
Happy Holden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:21:10 -0400
I want to echo David's advice.  We have been testing the traditional 140C
Tg, DICY laminates in 2-sided, 4-layer & 6-layer stackups and all are
passing a lead-free assembly process with multiples of additional LF
cycles to spare.  If you're board is simple enough, thin enough with fewer
layers and the LF process is well engineered, you may NOT have to change
anything but HASL in order to make it "Lead-Free Capable" and "RoHS
Compliant".
Happy Holden
APM

David Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: TechNet <[log in to unmask]>
08/18/2005 11:25 AM
Please respond to
David Hoover <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: [TN] New Resin System

The word "filled" adds some further questions. If that is in reference to
the laminate resin having filler additives they do provide less
expansion and can help with PTH reliability. However, the "filler" does
come
with a cost. This may greatly help with survivability on high
aspect ratio thick PCBs but it may also be unnecessary costs on low layer
count PCBs. There really should be no "silver bullet"
material. The best "high rel" materials come with a serious cost
multiplier
and should only be used on those "big, thick, and ugly"
PCBs that really need them (or high temp environments where excessive
thermal cycles may be used). For the lower layer count
PCBs there should be a whole host of non-DICY materials that should take
care of their LF needs. If the PCB is thin enough and the
LF assembly temp is low enough, even DICY materials will survive.

Cheers,

David Hoover  (aka, Groovy)