TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
Frederick Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Frederick Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 09:49:52 -0400
The manufacturer of the edge board connector changed the US machine to one with a higher power level and did not do a requalification of the part. The higher energy caused the contact fingers to fatigue since they had no support. We had no hint of a problem until the field failures started to come in. It cost us over $ 20 million to find and replace the units in the field.

Frederick H. Miller PE
Astrolab, Inc.
4 Powder Horn Drive
Warren, NJ 07059