TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, John Burke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:16:17 -0700
Very nice,

Until you consider that ENIG infringes the design rules for at least one of
the top 3 global CM's due to the issues associated with it.

If you want the number of their chief technologist who has to look at enigma
failures week in week out I will happily supply details off line.

I personally have built hundreds of thousands of assemblies on ENIG as well
as Immersion AG.

As for the rest, HASL is generally failure related to a complete lack of
understanding of tin thickness and intermetallic growth rate, OSP failures
generally are related to not understanding the degradation of that finish
with multiple reflow cycling, and personally I would never use immersion tin
without some type of diffusion barrier between it and the copper if nay time
in storage was to be considered.

The ENIG when it fails can be catastrophic............and in most cases can
be pointed back to the process at the fab house rather than what happened to
it during the assembly process, unlike most of the other finish defects, and
has to my knowledge resulted in multi million dollar lawsuits between
companies in the bay area due to failures.

If it doesn't fail - it is fine, but the joint shear strength is less than
the equivalent HASL or immersion AG finish due to the Tin nickel/nickel
copper crystalline structure, so taking into consideration the higher
temperatures of lead free I would be vary careful using it for area array
packages using this soldering technology.

For the record have been using immersion silver since 1996 as I produced the
first beta site production runs using alpha level, so perhaps my views have
a little more history.

Call me opinionated - I'll take it.

John

------------------------------------