TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
"Stadem, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Stadem, Richard
Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:01:11 -0500
Well, Steve
I don't profess to know an awful lot about pwb manufacturing, but let me
just point out that tech sales people are only so good at selling,
products must sell themselves in order to survive in this industry.
Most OEMs and CEMs need to qualify processes. We don't just buy products
and bring them into our shops and hope for the best.
We are required to completely test out everything to make absolutely,
positively certain that the resulting product meets the specifications
fully. We do our best to derive evaluation plans and follow them. Most
of us have done this with immersion silver on our pwb's, and the pwb
suppliers have also done likewise.
And immersion silver has done very well, as far as I have been involved.
And from what I see on the Technet, the same with others. As far as
ENIG, well there is enough documented evidence that it is not always the
best choice. And in certain cases, neither is immersion silver. As the
respected Doug Pauls has pointed out (altogether now, gang), It Depends.
I don't know anything about the cyanide and formaldehyde issues, so I
cannot comment on that. I am sure other PWB vendors can, and will. I
wonder why so many board fabricators are not having a problem offering
IS if there are problems with the waste stream as you state. Did
something happen such that your local controlling agency is deviating
from state and federal guidelines?