TECHNET Archives

August 2005

From:
Guy Ramsey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:00:44 -0400
Remember though that we are trying to create a simple rule of thumb relating
acceptable gold thickness to the newly appearing super small packages. Looks
like if we are in reflow for 30 seconds or so the error that you and Werner
mention is not important.

But I wonder, from observing under SEM we see that the gold is not evenly
distributed in, for example, a solder ball. or even in the heel fillet of a
QFP. There is a lead rich area adjacent to the tin and gold needle
structures that form near the tin nickel intermetalic. It seems important if
we are trying to keep gold below 3 or 4 percent anywhere in the joint.

Does any one have a copy of Wolverton's Paper? "Understanding Gold
Embrittlement in Surface-Mount Soldering,"