DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

August 2005

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

From:
"Brooks,Bill" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Designers Council Forum)
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:53:49 -0700
Roger,

Not being a chemist myself, I can only speculate Roger... but I think the
Amalgam in fillings is capable of breaking down over time and the mercury in
it is Methyl mercury and is released as a gas which is then inhaled and
enters the body through the lungs... or so I am told.

I think they have studies on this subject that indicate after removal of the
amalgam fillings that the urine and blood tests showed the mercury levels to
subside... I'm no expert on this subject but thanks for showing me there are
dissenting points of view on the subject... it's good to look at it from all
sides before making a personal decision like that.

The fish thing came to my attention when I was shopping at the market, they
have a warning sign on the freezer door telling you which fish is known to
contain the most mercury and on down the list to the least mercury..
I am told that coal fired power plants are part of the problem as well as
they spread the methyl version of mercury into the environment and the fish
and game get it in their food and water.

As this related to RoHS and WEEE it's interesting to note how it's affecting
industry and the environment... there are unintended consequences that they
have not planned for obviously. More research needs to be done and rational
decisions regarding the restrictions made so as not to unnecessarily place
restrictions on things that are benign or less of a problem to people's
health and more restriction on things that truly are a problem.

I hate getting fooled as much as the next guy, but I think there is some
real science behind this mercury thing... So many things we used in the past
to make pc boards were highly toxic or carcinogens like Triclor which we
used in open containers like you would with alcohol and in vapor degreasers
and Mercuric Chloride was used in the Ammonium Persulfate etchant we used...
the gold plating solution contained cyanide, and back when we were making
boards in the early 1970's there were few if any restrictions on the
disposing of spent chemicals or even handling them... I was exposed to them
all at various times on my open unprotected skin, I breathed the vapors from
the Trichlor all day long until I was dizzy... but I was a high school kid
and so far I have not developed any cancer...yet. (Keep my fingers crossed
that it stays that way).

I understand that in Taiwan at one of the major board shops there they have
a chemical recovery system that consists of a pipe that opens out into the
local rice patty... I wonder who's eating the rice? They say that rice grown
in the US contains higher levels of arsenic than any place else in the
world... I think Nick is right... maybe smoking is less hazardous than
eating... ;)

Oh well, we have strayed far a field with this from the RoHS discussion but
it is an interesting subject. Thanks for all the comments.

Be well,

Bill Brooks - KG6VVP
PCB Design Engineer, C.I.D.+, C.I.I.
Tel: (760)597-1500 Ext 3772 Fax: (760)597-1510
Datron World Communications, Inc.
San Diego Chapter of the IPC Designers Council
Communications Officer, Web Manager
http://dcchapters.ipc.org/SanDiego/
http://pcbwizards.com